Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Daylesford & Hepburn Springs Organic Cola


I have seen this brand around only a couple of times before, generally at smaller organic-friendly cafes and the like. I picked this one up on a day trip to CERES environmental centre and my skepticism of natural spring water sodas didn't give me high hopes. The cola itself is a really dark black and has that typical kola nut cola smell.

It's taste at first is like a slightly bitter version of Phoenix Cola. It has a crazy amount of carbonation on the way in that makes my lips buzz and tingle which is a really cool feeling. It has some really strong lemon flavour coming through that got more and more apparent the further through the bottle I got. By the end of this soda I would be pushing for this to be renamed to a Lemon Cola, the citrus undertone was that strong. It has a slight citric acid sting too which is always good.

Although this and Phoenix need a bit of work with their organic sodas I am all for supporting them and seeing what they will offer in the future because they both (sensibly) bypass HFCS and the all natural ingredients approach is always good.

I liked the soda more and more as I got further through it but I think it needs to be a bit more smooth and creamy to really make it for me. The lemon cola taste was really cool and I hope someone can nail that idea. I might just have to head down to Daylesford and pick up some patchouli oil and a few of their other flavours.

72/100

-DM

Available at CERES Brunswick East.

1 comment:

  1. If you like this drink come and but it at www.realsoftdrinks.com.au

    ReplyDelete