Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fanta Fruit Punch


The fairly hideous can depicts what are presumably the flavours that make up Fanta’s take on fruit punch- an oddly proportioned pineapple, half-orange and a bunch of bananas.

The smell when the can is cracked is very much like candy bananas. The soda itself (inexplicably dark green) tastes like a toned-down banana lolly, not as strong as the smell, mixed with a little bit of brown cream-soda, and reminds me a little of bubblegum flavour. The taste and smell of this soda is decidedly artificial, and a quick look at the ingredients list confirms that the only fruit in this punch is on the can.

For the first few sips I was really enjoying this soda, however after just a few more I was finding it hard to continue. Although the flavour is good, really good, it is far too strong, and drinking the whole can was a struggle. I don’t want to be beaten over the head by a flavour, or battle to finish a single can.

The soda was excessively sweet, far too thick and syrupy. Aftertaste was affected as well, leaving a lingering sweetness without any traces of the delicious banana/bubblegum of the drink itself. This sweetness lasted for minutes after I finished the can, and was a fairly unpleasant reminder of an otherwise fairly forgettable soda.

Had I been drinking this soda purely for enjoyment, I doubt that I would have finished the can. The overly-strong flavour and excessive sweetness made for a thick and punishing drinking experience, which is a shame considering that the flavour itself is pretty tasty. Don’t bother with this soda.

52/100

-LC

Available at Central Grocery, Melbourne Central and other various Asian grocers.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the shit out of this one when I was in Thailand last week. I had two at the airport before flying home to Sydney. I agree that it is massively sweet, and there are probably some days where I just wouldn't be able to finish a can. But I'm definitely wishing it was available in Aus (still looking for a supplier).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very rarely drink softdrink (might have had maybe 1 dozen cans in the last 3 years) but was intrigued by this stuff when I saw it in the supermarket in Bangkok the other week.
    At only 13.5 baht (approx 50cents), I thought I would give it a try.

    I loved it, And I returned to the supermarket to purchase some more.

    I did find it very fizzy (but considering my lack of fizzy drink consumption over the years, this is probably a normal fizzy level), but once it was flat, it had a very full flavour, that I very much enjoyed.

    To be honest, I am glad it is not available in Australia, as I would most likely buy it, if it was here. I think I would prefer it to be a "rare treat" for me to have each time I visit Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete