Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Jones Green Apple


As Darcy mentioned in his earlier post on their Cherry soda, Jones have some pretty far-out flavours. Although at the moment unavailable to Australians (as far as I know?), and probably pretty disgusting/a terrible waste of $4.50, I can’t help but get excited when I hear about ‘holiday’-themed flavours like turkey/tofurky and gravy, brussels sprouts (!!), xmas ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, candy cane, pumpkin pie and a score of others. None of this matters, however, if the soda in question, that is Jones Green Apple, is shit, and I’m happy to report that not only was it not shit, but it was very, very tasty.

The smell is very sour, with just a hint of green apple flavour poking through. The bright green colouring had me prepared for a very artificial apple flavour, something along the lines of sour apple hard candy. This was not the case; the drink was closer to an apple cider, with a hint of that artificial ‘apple’ flavour. The sourness of this soda sits at an absolutely perfect level. Without any of the Warheads-like pucker or unpleasant sensation that comes with some sourness, this soda still managed to be very sour. Although fairly light on fizz, due to the sourness (from citric acid as far as I can tell) this soda tingled on my tongue as I drank it. When drinking, the very first sensation is the tongue-tingling sourness, which lasts for just a second and is quickly followed by the very pleasant apple flavour of the drink, merging with the aftertaste and eventually fading away to nothing.

Sometimes when I drink too much apple juice (which I do quite often, it doesn’t take much) I get a bellyache- although I only had one bottle (but how I wished I could’ve had more!), there was none of that here. Unlike a lot of apple-flavoured drinks and ciders, this drink was not excessively sweet, and likewise the apple flavour was subtle enough that I could’ve easily cracked another bottle after finishing with this one.

This was a pleasure to drink, and I’m excited to try more of the flavours Jones has on offer. I’d love to try a ‘red apple’ flavoured soda from Jones in the future, and while this doesn’t exist yet it’s surely only a matter of time.

92/100

-LC

Available at Sugar Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment